In anticipation of that much hoped-for good summer...
How not to overheat in summer
When sizzling hot weather is forecast, how can you store that early morning cool? Try these tips:
Move into the shade
- Use blinds (or sheets) on south-facing windows to reflect the sun.
- Draw south-facing curtains to keep the sun's heat out and cooler air in.
- Insulate loft and cavity walls to slow the passage of heat from outside.
Make less heat
- Check the hot water tank is insulated. If not, it will leak heat into the room.
- Turn off appliances you're not using (even adaptors generate heat).
- Reschedule physical work, avoid direct sunlight and drink cold water.
- Open windows on opposite sides of the house, but only if this creates a cooling through-draft and is not a security risk.
- Use a rotating desk fan. Portable air conditioners use up to 100 times more energy.